What is Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
Wikipedia defines search engine optimization as:
"...the process of improving the volume and quality of traffic to a web site from search engines via "natural" ("organic" or "algorithmic") search results. Usually, the earlier a site is presented in the search results, or the higher it "ranks", the more searchers will visit that site." source
What steps can I take to optimize or "improve volume and quality of traffic" to my website?
- Begin by focusing on your website’s main objectives and identifying keywords and keyword phrases that best describe your industry, organizational goals, business activities, products or services.
- Learn where and how to incorporate these keywords into your web page content and HTML coding, then present that content in ways that enable search engines to easily gather information from your site.
- Expand and update your site's content on a regular basis to attract new and existing customers, and to encourage web crawlers to spider your site.
- Build online relationships with related businesses to encourage in-bound links to your website and secure listings in directories related to your business.
- Continue to promote your organization using traditional marketing methods and include your URL on all marketing materials.
- Read and learn as much as you can about search engine optimization and online marketing. Then, incorporate your new knowledge into building and improving your website so you can gain a competitive edge.
- Wait for your website to begin showing up "naturally" in search engine results due to content and keyword relevancy. Be patient! It takes time.
Many SEO businesses will offer to optimize your website for a fee with a promise to secure higher rankings for your website. However, you can find thousands of "free" online articles, blogs and forums on the web devoted to this topic. Beware of purchasing any services or software until you have learned some SEO basics and personally incorporated them into your website.
There are no shortcuts to attaining "naturally" high search engine rankings. Once you understand the basics of search engine optimization, you can make improvements to your website on a regular basis. You will also be able to make more informed decisions as to the next best steps to grow and market your online business and website.
Step 1: Putting Keywords to Work for You.
Additional Online Resources:
Twelve-Steps to Higher Search Engine Placement
Search Engines | SEO | Keywords | Content | Links