It’s Friday, June 22, 2018 in Austin, Texas
5 Practical Design Tips from Timothy Corrigan
The world famous designer shares his philosophy
1. Don’t scrimp on upholstered furniture - well-made sofas and chairs will last for many years and if you select a classic silhouette it will never go out of style. Be willing to pay a little extra for long-term comfort. It’s also important that the upholstery fabric you select for seating should feel good to the touch, so that it invites people to come and enjoy the room. There are many beautifully designed fabrics that just aren’t that great to sit on, so, when choosing a fabric ask yourself would you want to sit on this with bare legs!
2. Good antique pieces hold their value over time, so you can think of them as another form of investment! Unlike mass-produced showroom furniture, antiques bring a unique quality to a space and often don’t cost any more than a new sport-bought equivalent. Besides all of that, antiques are the ultimate green product, as no new resources are used to produced them!
3. Don’t be a slave to your furniture: wherever possible use fabrics and materials that are living-friendly so that you don’t have to worry about every spill or stain. There are more and more great outdoor fabrics options available than ever before! Think about giving your indoor wood furniture a coat of marine varnish so that you don’t have to worry about every glass of water left on a table.
4. Mix things up in your home. Put together materials that you would never expect to go together: steel and silk; rough-hewn wood with polished cotton; nubby burlap with highly lacquered Macassar ebony. It’s the mixture of textures, style and periods that make a space feel fresh and interesting.
5. Always focus first on how you want the room to work for you- get the basic furniture plan right. Then add in the comfort and décor. You have to start out with the right plan before you address how it looks. What good is it to have a beautiful room that you never use?
5818 W. Third Street
Los Angeles, CA 90036
be prepared - choose wisely
Here are some helpful hints and direction on the skills and knowledge your web designer should have.
save as many as you can!
With Austin making headlines and ending up on virtually every "Top 10 Best City for..." lists -- we now have about 150 people moving here daily!! We figured we should warn potential new residents of the hidden dangers of moving to Austin.
How I discovered my ancestor Pocahontas and her Sullivan family descendants of Northern Virginia using the web - a genealogy posting by Bob Atchison.
Here are some images showing my favorite semi-precious stone animals with jeweled eyes from my collection and stories of the stones and where they come from.
As you have probably read it has been extensively reported that Golden Gate Killer was found using data from GEDmatch. It's an amazing story.
Hummingbird Farms, the famous maker of body lotions seen on QVC , upgrades website with huge new product images, which increases sales
When users install or upgrade to Windows 10, "display scaling" may be turned on "by default" to either 125% or 150% resulting in blurriness when viewing websites or applications on certain monitors.
Bob Atchison's guide to find rare, antique and cabbagey roses to order online. Here you'll find the best sources with roses I especially love and recommend for your garden.
If you are a realtor or real estate broker, you need a website to advertise your business and attract new clients. Get clients to stay on your website by providing access to Multiple Listing Service (MLS) real estate listings.
Is Scotty Bowers, the famous Hollywood pimp telling the truth about Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn being gay? Here's a confirming story...
The unspoken fear all web designers dread - you've been asked to use cursive fonts! There is no escape... yes, it has happened to me, Bob Atchison, many times and I have the battle scars to prove it. Here are some cursive fonts I actually like.